Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Harry Potter Nails

It was one of the things that got me started on the road to nail polish addiction and I've tried four times to get it looking decent.

I finally pulled off Harry Potter inspired nail art. *Cue the angelic choir.*





I did striping on my left hand. I used two pieces of nail striping tape to mark off the area, then I pulled the tape off right after I added the accent color.




When I was done I knew I'd never get the tape straight on my right hand so I did dots on my right. I really can't decide which I like better.




My thumbs have the symbol for the Deathly Hallows.

I went by the colors in the books. If it isn't in the books, on Pottermore, or from an interview with J.K. Rowling herself... Well then it just isn't true. There are lots of fun things in the movies, but I don't take them as true canon. For today that just means that Ravenclaw colors are blue and bronze, not blue and gray or silver or light blue or whatever that is in the movies.

I spent a lot of time looking for good colors. I wanted them all to compliment each other and have the same slight metallic sheen. Here's the breakdown of what I used:

Pinkies are Slytherin, green and silver. Green is Sinful Colors 926 HD Nails and the silver is Wet 'N' Wild Fast Dry 236C Silvivor.

Ring fingers are Hufflepuff, yellow and black. Yellow is Sinful Colors 928 Let's Meet and the black is Sinful Colors 933 Secret Admirer.

Middle fingers are Gryffindor, crimson and gold. Red is Wet 'N' Wild Wild Shine 463 Jezebel and the gold is Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure 110 Wedding Glitters.

Pointer fingers are Ravenclaw (YAY!!!), blue and bronze. Blue is Wet 'N' Wild Wild Shine 443D Bijou Blue and the bronze is Revlon Parfumerie 100 Autumn Spice. Quick note about Autumn Spice, it smells. After it dries it has an autumn spice perfume that lasts as long as the nail polish is on my hand. It's weird, but not unpleasant. I looked for months to find a polish in the right shade of bronze. There are plenty of copper polishes out there, but bronze is hard to find.

My thumbs are done in white, Sinful Colors 112 Tokyo Pearl, and Deathly Hallow nail decals from Nail Thins. I used the original, regular sized ones since I was using them on my largest nail.

All my fingers have two coats of OPI Natural Nail Strengthener as a base coat and one coat of OPI Top Coat to finish it off.


No comments: